Community Enterprise is an open source product that is leading the way towards "managed open source" that combines the innovations of open source with the stability and upgradeability of traditional software. Community Enterprise has many advantages over other open source software, including the following:
- Fully Featured CE has many more features and benefits than comparable open source software (OSS).
- Upgradeable While almost all Open Source projects are ultimately customized or "forked," CEs was built for easy manageability and upgradeability without compromising core code integrity. CE clients are never trapped on a Code Island.
- Open Source Code CE matches the core innovation of traditional OSS access to system code and a community of developers.
- Better Design Integration CEs visual design API enables more visual design flexibility and features than traditionally rigid open source solutions.
- Lower Cost CEs Total Cost of Ownership is much lower than OSS solutions that require extensive customization, finishing, maintenance of non-upgradeable forked code, and over-reliance on original developer.
- Well Documented Unlike most OSS, CE is well documented.
For more about the challenges and solutions of using open source software, read The Truth About Open Source in the Social Sector.